Versatile editor, manager and journalist with skills honed during 33-year career
as foreign correspondent, national correspondent and newsroom executive.
Dynamic Internet innovator and architect of award-winning websites. Proven
recruiter of diverse, highly-talented employees. Experienced internationalist with
on-the-ground knowledge of more than 70 countries in the Americas, Middle
East, Europe, Africa and Asia.
The Miller Center/University of Virginia
Managing Editor, 10/2015-Present (Charlottesville, VA)
Lafayette Journal & Courier
Executive Editor, 6/2013-9/2015 (Lafayette, IN)
Stars and Stripes
Senior Managing Editor, 2009-2013 (Washington, DC)
Houston Bureau Chief, 2003-2009
Chief Diplomatic Correspondent, 2001-2003
Associate Managing Editor/Interactive News, 1997-99
Chief of Correspondents, 1996
Los Angeles Bureau Chief, 1995
Moscow Correspondent, 1992-94
Africa Correspondent, 1990-91
Canada Correspondent, 1987-89
Midwest U.S. Correspondent, 1986
General Assignment Reporter, 1982-85
Washington D.C. City Paper
Chief Operating Officer, 2000
SKILLS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
* Directed more than 50 journalists at the Lafayette Journal & Courier, Muncie
Star Press and Richmond Palladium-Item providing comprehensive online,
mobile and print coverage of three Indiana communities.
* Led 100-person Stars and Stripes editorial staff producing independent daily
newspaper and Internet products for U.S. service members overseas.
Reinvigorated news coverage, leading to a Polk Award and a National Headliner
Award for Public Service.
* Restructured editorial departments to reduce staff and expenses while
simultaneously increasing productivity and awarding incentive raises to top
* Overhauled employee performance evaluation systems to emphasize fairness,
consistency, clear expectations and actionable feedback.
* Supervised staff of 20 Chicago Tribune foreign and national correspondents,
directing and editing coverage of world and national news.
* Led and developed staff of 65 employees who designed and produced Chicago
* Mentored writers and editors at Washington City Paper alternative weekly
while expanding staff diversity.
* Created and taught new metrics-driven analytical approach to journalistic
decision-making in Gannett newsrooms across the country.
* Charted new Internet growth and revenue strategy for Stars and Stripes and led
redesign of stripes.com website, positioning it as a curated gateway for military
news updated 24/7 by editors around the world.
* Forged new social media relationships that demonstrated how mainstream
journalists and bloggers could enhance each other's work, leading to viral
distribution of my stories to huge new audiences.
* Directed the Chicago Tribune's early forays onto the web more than a decade
ago, pioneering a bold front-page web design in 1998 that today is a news
industry design standard. Responsible for conceptual, strategic and creative
leadership of editorial content for Chicago Tribune news and entertainment
* Led management and implementation of technology and content strategies for
MinorityInterest.com, a start-up targeted at underserved American audience.
* Created new national civil rights beat at the Chicago Tribune.
* Uncovered stories that led to a $9 million court award for the victim of a racial
beating, the release from prison of a 14-year-old girl and the largest American
civil rights demonstration in a generation.
* Won five national journalism awards.
* Covered historic events including the Oklahoma City bombing, the dissolution
of the Soviet Union, the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe, the end of
apartheid in South Africa, Hurricane Katrina and the election of President Barack
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
B.A., Magna Cum Laude, English Language & Literature (1982)
COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
* Member, Regional Boys & Girls Club Board of Directors, Washington, DC
* Weekly volunteer, Brooklyn Navy Yard Boys & Girls Club, New York
* Weekly volunteer, Robert R. McCormick Boys & Girls Club, Chicago
* Winner, 2014 Society of Professional Journalists-Indiana/Story of the Year
(Journal & Courier)
* Winner, 2014 Best of Gannett/Public Service (Journal & Courier)
* Winner, 2014 APME-Indiana/First Amendment-Community Affairs (Journal &
* Winner, 2014 Hoosier State Press Association/Best News Coverage (Journal &
* Winner, 2013 Society of Professional Journalists-Indiana/Non-deadline Series
(Journal & Courier)
* Winner, 2013 Best of Gannett/Planned Content (Journal & Courier)
* Winner, 2010 Military Reporters & Editors Award (Stars and Stripes)
* Winner, 2009 Polk Award/Military Reporting (Stars and Stripes)
* Winner, 2009 National Headliner Award/Public Service (Stars and Stripes)
* Finalist, 2009 Molly Ivins National Journalism Prize
* Finalist, 2008 Pulitzer Prize/National Reporting
* Winner, 2008 Taylor Family Award for Fairness in Newspapers, Nieman
Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University
* Winner, 2008 American Judicature Society Toni House Journalism Award
* Winner, 2008 Chicago Bar Association Herman Kogan Media Award
* Winner, 2008 Chicago Tribune Edward Scott Beck Award for outstanding
* Finalist, 2008 American Society of Newspaper Editors Batten Medal
* Second Place, 2008 National Headliner Awards News Beat Coverage
* Winner, Chicago Tribune Edward Scott Beck Award, for outstanding foreign
reporting from South Africa (1991) and the Soviet Union (1993)
* Three-time finalist, Livingston Awards for Young Journalists, for reporting from
Canada, Africa and Russia